Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Love is Sweet


Valentine's Day is the perfect day to tell the ones you love how sweet they are and you can do it with these sweet sugar cookies! 
I have watched my Mom makes these cookies my whole life and for every occasion; we literally have cookie cutters in every shape imaginable. But since it is Valentine's it only seemed appropriate to make these sweet delicacies in the shape of a heart. Only one problem... I didn't have any cookie cutters! After searching all of Tallahassee, we finally found 1 heart shape cookie cutter. Who would have ever thought it would have been so hard? My husband decided people just eat "break-and-bake" cookies too much. Sad. There is just something wonderful about goodies made from scratch and decorated by hand that Pillsbury just can't capture, especially when made for those you love!


Side Note: For Valentine's day Cupid brought me a new camera! Cupid did a great job and even came a little early, so while I was baking I decided to play with my new camera and document all the steps. 
The kitchen-aid is one of my favorite wedding gifts! It  makes you feel like a pro baking cookies! 

After your dough has chilled, the real fun begins! This next step will blow your mind. After going through a few "University of Cookies" tutorials, I found this tip: Rather than adding a ton of flour on your dough or having dough stick to the rolling pin, just put a wax paper on top and roll! Simply peel away when your dough in the thickness you desire. Great tip! 

I used parchment paper on the bottom and the wax paper on top. You can't cook with wax paper so don't use it on the bottom! Parchment paper replaces the need to use cookie spray and makes it easier to transfer your cut cookies to the baking sheet:
All you have to do is cut around your shapes and place them on your pan. The shapes will remain perfectly formed and there will be no sticking to the pan. 

These were perfectly cooked. I admit I had to do a little taste testing to make sure they were done ;)

The next step will be to decorate your cookies. I use Wilton's meringue powder to make my icing and simply follow the instructions included. I also add a little vanilla to enhance the flavor of the icing. Add your color and fill a piping bag and you are ready to decorate. 


And that is all! It is as simple as it looks. And even if your icing isn't perfect I promise they will still taste delicious. 

Hope you have a Valentine's day full of love & sweets! Enjoy.

XOXO,
Katie M. 






No comments:

Post a Comment