Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Gift that Keeps Giving:


I am finally on my holiday break and back in my home town. Oh, what a wonderful feeling! Coming home during my college years was great, but I think it might be even better now that I am working (especially after working out of town and a 65 hour work week).  Lucky for us, Phillip and I planned ahead knowing I would be out of town and did all of our Christmas shopping early! We even had the gifts wrapped before our travels, quite the accomplishment!

As we grow up it really is getting harder to buy present for our loved ones!  My sister is always easy to shop for; I just pick something on my wish list and buy it for her (normally buying one for me too, oops!) But the real problem Phillip and I have run into is what to buy our parents. His parents tell us not to buy them anything and my parents just wanted all the kids to be home! …Too bad it is not actually that easy to mark them off the to-do list. So we have been thinking outside the box. Last year, was one of our best years for original gifts. We bought and planted my mom a Meyer lemon tree. It has been a fun gift to watch grow and flourish. It has taken almost a year to produce lemons that are big enough to use. Every time we come home we check the lemon tree, and what a surprise it was to come home this week: 3 lemons!

The pictures above are a timeline of the lemon tree.
1st picture: Christmas 2011, on December 25th we planted the tree. I know we are wearing shorts and t-shirts, but I promise it was Christmas! That's Florida for you!
2nd picture: This one was right after Christmas. Those blooms had the sweetest smell.  
3rd  picture: Christmas 2012, we finally picked 3 beautiful lemons.
 Side note: We actually picked a little lemon that was too heavy for a branch in August and put in a shrimp boil we shared with family after the wedding!
So if you are looking for a gift for someone who seemingly has everything, a lemon tree just might be the perfect gift. They are low maintenance and a gift that keeps giving!
Look for a lemon pie recipe to come.
With Love,
Katie M.

No comments:

Post a Comment