Sunday, December 30, 2012

Revive:

After perusing through blogs, J.Crew catalogues, and an assortment of magazines, Barbour Jackets had begun to peak my interest. While the jacket isn't a necessity, there is a charm about the jackets I just can't resist. I remember my mom having one when we lived in England and I figured it would be a fun "investment" piece: they are classic, functional, and go with everything. If my mom's Barbour jacket could last 20 years and still be in great condition, they must be a good purchase. But then I thought, wait, why get a new one when my mom's is still in great condition? It had been a while since she wore it, so I figured she wouldn't mind letting me borrow it for a season or two...or three! When I called her up to try and locate the jacket, it seemed to peak her interest as well! She found it and decided it still looked good on her! But after a little convincing she said she would be happy to see it put to use again. 
Here is the Jacket from the Barbour Website
 (http://www.barbour.com/us/womens-clothing/jackets-coats/wax/classic-womens/beaufront-jacket)

The jacket is still in wonderful condition: the zippers work perfectly, every detail is in tact, and the lapel pin remains with the jacket! Ekkk this was such a fun and special find :) 
                             



Here is a picture of mom in the jacket in 1993! Literally 20 years ago. 
And here is a side-by-side. Who do you think wore it better? 
Can't you see the charm? I tried to style myself like my mom's outfit in 1993, just a little "refreshed". I do have to say she was quite stylish (minus the fanny-pack), especially for the 90s! I added a scarf and Ray-bans on my head like my mom did,  and of course I wore the classic sweater and jeans.

Moral of the story? Buy classic, "investment" pieces.  I have never been the "trendy" girl, that is just not my style, but this confirms my style choices and makes appreciate my style even more. So next time you see that expensive black dress or beautiful purse, ask yourself, "Would my daughter wear this 20 years from now?". If this answer is yes,  I think that would classify it as a good investment! Who knows how someone will refresh your look one day? Now go rummage your mom's closet!

With Love, 
Katie M. 



No comments:

Post a Comment