Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Merry Christmas:

Ok it is official, I miss college. I do not miss the exams or group projects, but I miss my winter break; 2 days of official holiday just wasn't enough. I made a last minute decision to use a day of my PTO (Paid Time Off) for Wednesday, to extend our trip just a little longer. I just couldn't bear the thought of leaving home on Christmas day. Here is a family picture we took on our last day home! Glad I stayed!
That being said, it was such a wonderful Christmas. I was worried about Phillip and I having to divide our time between families, but it honestly turned out perfect. We just bounced back and forth between events and our time naturally divided itself equally (sigh of relief). We were able to carry on our family traditions and even share them between families. We made gingerbread houses and it of course turned into a competition with my sister and her boyfriend. If you don't know my sister and me, we are very competitive! But I am proud to announce I was the winner of the 2012 Annual Gingerbread House Competition. There have been some close calls in the past years, but there was a clear winner this year ;). I swear each year they get better and better. This year Phillip and I upped the competition and decided to design our own template, rather than just the normal small house we designed a barn! I have been on a shabby chic/ farm/hunting kick lately, so this just fit perfectly! Here are a few snap shots of the Ginger Bread House Extravaganza!

Rolling the Dough:

Cut and Ready to Bake:
Note all our pieces for the barn! 

 The Decorations:
 

All Ready to Assemble:

 The Final Product:

 


We completed those on Christmas Eve and on Christmas day continued the festivities with both Families! Not only did we get 2 Christmases but it was fun seeing how other families celebrate together on Christmas morning. At my house we each open presents one at a time and watch to see what is unwrapped. On the other hand, at the Munday's residence, "Santa" passes out all the gifts and everyone opens their stack of gifts all at the same time. I guess that is the difference between a family with all girls vs. a family with all boys! I prefer to see what everyone gets and see their reactions to each present, this also allows ample time for pictures! But there was something fun about unwrapping a big pile of gifts at one time!


Side Note: I got a sewing machine! I can't wait to play this weekend :) 

As I mentioned today and in my last post we did a lot of Christmas traditions as a combined family. Phillip and I are blessed that our parents are best friends (our moms actually were friends before we even started dating)! For many years we have had Christmas Eve gumbo at the Munday Residence after our candlelight service at church! And this year we added Christmas Day Supper to list of events. We brought my family tradition of British poppers and paper hats, because the Brainerd Christmas just wouldn't be complete without those funny hats and terrible jokes. It was a hit that both families enjoyed together! It might just become a Munday Tradition too!

 Our Paper hats! 


And that is the Christmas Update! I will try to move on now... but hey who doesn't love Christmas?!?

With Love,
Katie M.

No comments:

Post a Comment