Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sewing Sunday: Valentine's Day Bunting

Welcome back and happy Sewing Sunday :) It has been a wonderful weekend in Tallahassee, we celebrated 2 birthdays, church was inspiring, and I successfully finished another sewing project. As I mentioned in my last post I love Valentine's day, so this week's project surrounded around Valentine's Day! 

I am not sure if it is a southern thing or just my family, but we decorate for every season, holiday, and special event! Christmas is not the only holiday where decorations adorn our home. Unfortunately, I haven't quite gathered all of my seasonal decorations from my parents' house, so my Valentine's decorations are lacking right now. To perk up our home and add a little love, a holiday sewing project was a must. I chose to do a simple bunting with colors that could be used for multiple holidays!


Here are the supplies you will need: 
Pinking shears, pins, thread, ribbon, and your choice of fabrics.
The process is quite logical. First, cut your fabric. I cut my pendant pieces to be 8 inches wide and 10 inches tall (to the peak). This allows for a 1/2 inch seam. Your final measurment of the pendant will be 7x9. 

Next, iron your seams and sew a straight seam along each side. Make sure your bobbin color matches, because it will be the side that shows when the bunting is hung! 

Last, pin each pendant on to the ribbon and sew them on. I used a zig-zag stich to attach the pendants. It was strong and quite cute! 
        
And that is it! Remember I am a beginner and still figuring this all out. If I can do it, you can too. My biggest challenge was getting a consistent size. 

I really want to add a few hearts to the pendants, but haven't figured out quite how I want to do that yet. I would like them to be removable, because this bunting could be used for so many holidays. For example, I could add a touch a blue ribbon and it would be perfect for the 4th of July.

(Imagining Hearts)

 Or think how cute this would be at a FSU tailgate! I did a mock-up of FSU bunting too!
Just imagine the possibilities! Hopefully I will be able to use this for many holidays. I will keep you updated on how I use and transform this cute bunting. 

Happy Sewing Y'all. 

With Love, 
Katie M. 








No comments:

Post a Comment